HSE-LogoRIDDOR: What do I need to know?

RIDDOR stands for: Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (1995). Full details of RIDDOR and how to report is available on the Health and Safety Executive website. You must have a procedure for how you would deal with a RIDDOR incident and that you can demonstrate you know what it is.

RIDDOR Reportable Major Injuries

    • Fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs, or toes
    • Amputation
    • Dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spine
    • Loss of sight (temporary or permanent)
    • Injury resulting from an electric shock or electrical burn leading to unconsciousness requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
    • Any other injury leading to hypothermia, head-included illness or unconsciousness or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
    • Unconsciousness caused by asphyxia or exposure to harmful substance or biological agent
    • Acute illness requiring medical treatment, or loss of consciousness arising from absorption of any substance by inhalation, ingestion or through the skin
    • Acute illness requiring medical treatment where there is a reason to believe that this resulted from exposure to a biological agent or its toxins or infected material

How do I make a report to RIDDOR?

If there has been a serious or fatal injury to a member of staff, groom, player or instructor, whilst involved in polo activities, this may need to be reported. The serious injury would need to lead to the volunteer or member of staff being away from work or meaning they were unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days. The report must be made within 15 days of the incident.

If there is a player, learner, spectator or member of public injured and who is taken from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment, this will need to also be reported.

You can report incidents via the Internet or by telephone. The telephone service will be available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm. You can still report directly to your local HSE office or local authority (by phone and then on forms 2508 or 2508A) and these reports will be forwarded to the ICC for processing.

If you use the Internet or telephone service, you will be sent a copy of the completed report form.

For Internet reports go to: www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/report.htm or use the telephone service (Monday to Friday 08.30 to 5.00) on 0845 300 9923.

Accident Report Books

In addition to RIDDOR you must keep an accident report book which should be filled out if an accident of any kind happens at your establishment or at an activity organised by your establishment.

Accident Report books are readily available online or from stationary suppliers.

They should be filled out with the person involved present and singed by them – the details given on the report are confidential and should only be disclosed at the permission on the person involved.